The Ultimate Guide to Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine for Colds and Flu’s
Tips for Cold and Flu Prevention
As the season has been shifting and the cold season starts, it’s important to keep our health in check to cope with the cold and flu season. Prevention is key. Here are some tips to consider:
– Have layered clothing and a scarf handy to protect your neck when that west coast wind and cold approaches unexpectedly. The neck area is vulnerable to getting cold and wind attack, thus best to protect it.
– Taking time to rest and breathe. As we shift from ‘yang’ active summer with many activities, we are now entering ‘yin’. The days are shorter, calling for a time to settle in for more rest and sleep to be in tune with the season. Deep breathes, walks, gentle yoga or Feldenkrais movement can all help to increase vitality
– Add in some bone broths or vegetables broths as part of your everyday. Simple but, important remedy, bone broths are a Chinese Medicine staple and in many cultures worldwide. Not only can it help prevent or ease colds and flus, but it is a nutritious broth with minerals, collagen and amino acids that can strengthen whole body system. A traditional recipe adds in ginger, garlic, white part of green onion in the broth.
– Acupuncture has been shown in studies to prevent and relieve colds and flu. Acupuncture treatments help boost the immune system by balancing, or unblocking stuck Qi, thereby enhancing immune hormones. Acupuncture can prevent cold and flu, or reduce symptoms such as chills, fever, sore throat, congestion if you already have it.
– May we embrace the autumn breeze while staying healthy. Now is the best time take care of yourself for the season ahead.
Bone broth is highly nutritious, rich in nutrients, helps fight osteoarthritis, reduce’s inflammation and heals the gut naturally!
Ela’s Bone Broth Recipe
INGREDIENTS IN HOMEMADE BONE BROTH
2 lbs bones from a healthy source
1 gal of water
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
2 stalks of celery
1 bunch of parsley (optional)
1 TBSP salt (optional)
1 tsp peppercorns (optional)
Herbs and spices to taste (optional)
2 cloves of garlic (optional)